A CHRONOLOGY RECAPITULATION
SHILOH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
Little is known of the history of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church prior to 1899 except
that it was a thriving institution located on the corner of Eighth Street and Rosedale Road.
However, it is evident from the following chronology recapitulation that the
founders as well as those that followed were truly commanded, committed and
commissioned to fulfill the teachings of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
1899 Re-organized under the direction of the Fourth District Baptist Association,
Rev. H. Williams, President and Pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Rev. A. A. Ginn was elected pastor. Others leaders were Bro. Frank Spears,
Chairman of Board of Deacons; Sis. Laura Walker, Chairlady, Board of
Deaconess; Sis. Hester Joseph, Mother of the Church.
1900 Land was purchased from the Benevolent Society to erect a permanent church
home. The church was officially chartered for 53 years.
1916 Bro. Henry Wright was elected chairman of the Board of Trustees.
1930 Sis. Sarah Parker was elected Mother of the Church and served faithfully until
1980. Prior to Sis. Parker’s reign the Mothers of the Church were Sis. Donna
Stewart and Sis. Elise Ginn.
1931 Rev. A. A. Ginn resigned as Pastor and Rev. J. W. Fisher was elected Pastor
and served until 1934.
1934 Rev. T. R. Provost was elected Pastor and served until 1954. Under the
leadership of Rev. Provost the church was re-chartered for 99 years.
1954 Rev. T. R. Provost resigned and Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church was in need
a Pastor. With many prayers the officers and members leaned strong on our Lord
(Jeremiah 3:25) “I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed
you with knowledge and understanding.” Thus Rev. I. H. Warner was elected
Pastor who came not to tear down, but to build up in every aspect. Membership
Increased and a building fund was organized for future growth.
1963 Additional land was purchased from the Benevolent Society to enlarge the edifice.
1964 Rev. Joseph Nelson was ordained by Rev. Warner and served as Assistant Pastor
until God called him home.
1965 Temporary housing was secured at the Stone Square Masonic Lodge #8 located
on Michigan and Eighth Street. The old edifice was demolished and the new
structure was erected.
1966 January 23rd, the congregation returned to its present site. Through fund raising
projects and taxation the mortgage was burned in less than 10 years. Shortly
after returning home the kitchen and dining area was added.
1977 Land was purchased for use as a cemetery.
1979 After the demise of Sis. Carrie Gustave, who had served for many years as
Superintendent of the Sunday School, Bro. Anderson Johnson was elected
to this post and served untiringly until God called him home in March of 1996.
1981 The remaining property of the Benevolent Society was purchased to enlarge the
1988 January 15th, Rev. Isaiah Warner retired. On March 18th Rev. Freddie L. Riley
was elected interim Pastor and later elected Pastor.
1990 Rev. Riley resigned in September. The church was without a Pastor for the first
time since 1954; and again the members had to go down in prayer for guidance
from on high.
1991 Rev. Alvin L. Green, Sr. was elected Pastor. Under the leadership of Pastor
Green the main focus was in the area of local mission, community outreach
And Christian education. In 1993 land adjoining existing property was
Purchased for future use; the church’s parking lot was paved and a van was
Purchased. On October 5, 2000 our beloved Pastor went home to be with the
2001 On July 3, 2001 Rev. Raymond Allen, Sr. was elected Pastor of Shiloh and
continues to serve as its Shepherd. Under Pastor Allen’s leadership Sunday
attendance has increased and membership continues to grow. He re-organized
the Youth Choir and instituted the New Member Ministry. In May of 2004
additional property was purchased for future expansion. With the guidance of
the Holy Spirit Shiloh continues to be a beacon in our community.
2011 - A committee was selected to build a Fellowship Hall next door to the present sanctuary.
June 2012 - The Fellowship Hall will be approximately 6500 sq. ft.. The main reception
area will seat
approximately 280 persons. The building will have three all purpose classrooms.
will be quarters for the pastor of visiting ministers. There will be men's and women's
restrooms at the front of the building and a unisex restroom at the rear of the building.
The building will have a media room with a collapsible stage in the reception area.
A commercial kitchen with pantry storage areas is included. We have included a
large office space for our office staff. The building will be protected by a fire alarm
and sprinkler systems. The Fellowship Hall be be used for overflow, and will have
state of the art video and speaker systems.
The Fellowship Hall is in the planning stages and building construction start and
finish dates have not been established.
2012 Presently the officers of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church are:
Chairman of Deacon Ministry, Bro. Kenneth Moore;
Chairlady of Deaconess Ministry, Sis. Judy Moore;
Chairman of Trustee Ministry, Bro. Wendell Hightower;
Treasurer, Sis. Doris Kent
Secretary, Sis. Judy Moore
Church Clerk, Sis. Kimberly Patterson;
Sis. Ann Brown, Superintendent of Sunday School;
Mother of the Church, Sis. Isabell Parker.
Associate Ministers are Rev. Rowena
Fields, Rev. Anthony Hollins, Min. Angelisa Allen,
Min. Greta Johnson, and
Min. Eric Marsellus.
PASTORS OF SHILOH
Reverend A. A. Ginn 1899 – 1931
Reverend J. W. Fisher 1931 – 1934
Reverend T. R. Provost 1934 – 1954
Reverend Isaiah Warner 1954 – 1988
Reverend Freddie L. Riley 1988 – 1990
Reverend Alvin L. Green, Sr. 1991 – 2000
Reverend Raymond Allen, Sr. 2001 – Present
The Mission of the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church is to surrender our lives totally to Christ by showing unconditional love to one another,
Seeking God’s will through his word, by serving the needs of our fellowman, and spreading the gospel throughout the world according to
the guidance of the Holy Spirit until the Lord himself shall come again.
MEMBERS AND FORMER MEMBERS
CALLED INTO THE MINISTRY
Cornell Allen, Sr.
J. P. Gardner
Alvin Green, Jr.
Oscar L. Gordon
William Gordon (Deceased)
Johnny Johnson, Jr.
Fred Lawrence (Deceased)
Joseph Nelson (Deceased)
Daniel Smith, Sr.
James A. Terrance, Jr.
Isaiah Warner (Deceased)
CHAIRPERSONS OF THE TRUSTEE BOARD
Reverend Joseph Nelson
Anderson H. Johnson
James Terrance, Sr.
Leon Goudeau, Sr.
Mary L. Knighten
Clarence J. Elliot, Sr
James Terrance, Sr.
CHAIRMEN OF THE DEACON MINISTRY
Jeff Solomon, Jr.
Joel Gordon, Sr.
CHAIRLADIES OF THE DEACONESS MINISTRY
Sarah C. Clark
Sarah C. Parker
Mary L. Knighten
MOTHER OF THE CHURCH
Sarah C. Parker
SECRETARIES OF THE CHURCH
Daniel C. Collins
Mrs. O. W. Barney
John L. Morris
TREASURERS OF THE CHURCH